ASIO Central Office, Canberra
Assistant Director Telecommunications Interception
Salary range $108,879 - $117,527 (plus superannuation)
Canberra Based Position
ASIO's main role is to gather information and produce intelligence that enables us to warn the government about activities or situations that might endanger Australia's national security. Our Technical Professionals play a critical role in supporting this mission.
Applications are sought from appropriately qualified individuals interested in helping ASIO work with the Australian telecommunications industry for the development of lawful interception systems and solutions.
Successful applicants will undertake the following duties:
- Supervision of technical staff involved in the development of telecommunications interception capabilities;
- Contribute to policy and process development supporting telecommunications interception;
- Liaison with telecommunications carriers for the development of lawful interception systems;
- Liaison with industry for the development of specialist systems;
- Compliance testing of interception solutions;
- Trouble-shooting system faults; and
- Development of in-house lawful interception solutions.
Mandatory Qualifications and skills
- Advanced Diploma or higher in Electrical/Electronic/Telecommunications Engineering or Information Technology, or 3-5 years experience in a carrier network engineering environment
- Experience in managing a small team of technical specialists.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the organisation in external meetings, including effective stakeholder management skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, including an ability to work in a tight-knit team with demanding deadlines.
- Good communication skills and be able to represent the organisation in external meetings with industry and law enforcement agencies.
- Project Management in an ICT environment.
- Previous experience with carrier networks and/or interception systems
- Understanding of IP Networks (architecture, systems and related protocols)
- Understanding of the architecture of mobile telephony networks, including SMS, GPRS and LTE
- Understanding of carrier-level VoIP implementations
- Exposure to international ICT standards and specifications
- Knowledge of mark-up languages such as XML and ASN.1
- Ability to perform and analyse IP captures and perform protocol analysis and network-level problem-solving
- Diploma of Government or Certificate IV in Frontline Management
How to Apply: Please go to asio.gov.au to apply online.
Closing date:Sunday, 8 September,2013
Eligibility: Applicants must be Australian citizens.
Working conditions: Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. Salary packaging arrangements are available.
Enquiries: If you have any other enquiries please telephone 02 62574916.
ASIO thanks all applicants for their interest and time spent completing their application.
All employment decisions and selection processes within ASIO are based on merit principles. The duties of the appointment require a national security clearance. Preferred applicants will be required to undergo psychological assessment and intrusive security and personal chec