Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO), Canberra
Intelligence Officer January 2020 Intake, ASIO Intelligence Employee (IE1.0)
Salary Range: $82,281 - $88,333 (plus 15.4% superannuation) for the first 12 months.
Salary Range: $90,945 - $102,480 (plus 15.4% superannuation) promotion to IE1.0 upon successful completion of 12 month training program.
As the nation's security service, ASIO protects Australia from violent, clandestine and deceptive efforts to harm its people and undermine its sovereignty. Success in this environment demands talented people that are highly capable, dedicated, adaptable and resilient.
Intelligence Officers have the opportunity to develop a diverse career in both operational and analytical areas across ASIO. Whilst working in operational areas, Intelligence Officers often meet with members of different communities to mitigate security threats, while also building ongoing confidential relationships with people to assist us in achieving our security intelligence mission.
Following successful completion of our 12 month training program, where you will be based in Canberra, you will participate in three to five year postings which may alternate between analytical and operational roles across various ASIO offices around Australia, as determined by organisational requirements.
Intelligence Officers also undertake postings in analytical roles. If you're also interested in the Intelligence Analyst role or want to know more, refer to the ASIO website for further information. If you wish to be considered for both roles, please submit an Intelligence Officer application only.
To be successful in either of these roles you will need to be able to develop collaborative partnerships, have a well-developed analytical ability to assess information to produce security intelligence, and provide regular written and verbal briefings and advice to a range of stakeholders across government.
To be eligible for the Intelligence Officer role, you must:
- be an Australian citizen;
- have successfully completed a three year undergraduate Bachelor degree (before January 2020);
- be willing to relocate to Canberra for the training period (removalist costs are covered);
- be assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Positive Vetting security clearance;
- be willing to be mobile throughout your career as an Intelligence Officer. This means potentially relocating to an Australian capital city every three to five years, noting the location will be determined by ASIO, based on organisational needs; and
- hold and maintain a current drivers licence (must be C class, with Provisional licence as a minimum).
ASIO is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected, in order to build a highly capable, innovative and adaptive workforce to achieve our purpose. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace. ASIO holds all applications in the strictest of confidence and we ask that you please employ the same level of confidentiality, for the safety and security of all current and future ASIO employees.
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Online' button below to commence your application.
Complete the online form and provide the following:
- a current resume;
- a statement of claims between 800-1000 words responding to the required capabilities and values, outlining why you believe you are suitable to be trained to undertake the role, and what skills, qualities and knowledge you will bring to the role (we suggest creating a draft copy in Notepad prior to entering your response).
Closing date: 14:00 (AEDT) Monday, 01 April 2019
For enquiries, please call Recruitment on 02 6257 4916 and quote reference number 067 (during business hours).
Requests for a late submission of your application will not be considered. For more information, please refer to the attached FAQ document.