Job Title: Software Developers
Job Type: Ongoing, Full-time, Part-time
Location: Various - Australian Capital Cities
Agency Classification: ASIO Employee Level 5 (APS5) to ASIO Executive Employee Level 2 (EL2) Inclusive
Agency Employment Act: ASIO Act 1979
We're looking for a range of talented and passionate techs – regardless of your area of expertise. You'll be surprised at the skills we're looking to employ. We currently have vacancies at our technical entry level AE5 (APS5) up to our senior technical levels AEE2 (EL2).
ASIO is chartered with the protection of Australia, its people and its interests. Technology is at the very heart of ASIO's efforts in preventing terrorists, state actors and malicious insiders causing great harm.
We're an intelligence agency. Our roles make a difference and contribute to something bigger than just a bottom line.
The ideal candidates
We value life and practical skills/experiences just as highly as formal qualifications. The successful candidates will have experience and/or qualifications in fields such as:
• Software Development
• Systems Development
• Software Engineering
We need techs who are interested in:
• Designing, developing and deploying software using Agile technologies and DevOps and CI/CD methodologies
• Modern software development techniques such as test-driven development, micro-service and continuous delivery
• Containerisation and orchestration technologies (like Docker and Kubernetes)
• Modern UX/UI design and development
• Cloud and virtualisation technologies
As a software developer in ASIO you'll be working in any number of teams in languages like Python, Java, C#, PHP (and much more) to actively and continually enhance our capabilities and/or our collection & analysis platforms to give us the intelligence edge. You'll have a solid understanding and appreciation for SDLC and DevOps processes as well as emerging technical themes. You'll be confident manoeuvring through an IDE or any number of new UI, just as you might be with social media, gaming and communication platforms.
You'll be familiar with fast-paced environments and the ability to source solutions within your own team or others (be they within ASIO or within industry or long-standing domestic and international partners) or through other research means. You'll appreciate discretion as equally as you do task management and delivering on time. As a senior software developer (EL1 or 2) you'll be happy to also mentor and coach our emerging specialists.
Our current software developers come from a range of differing backgrounds – what unites them is their shared passion for problem-solving and being part of something bigger than just themselves.
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
• Protect Australia with your passion for technology
• Access to a wide array of technology stacks and subject matter experts
• Flexible working hours/arrangements. We adopt an “if not, why not” approach
• Flexibility with work locations
• A competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance as well as employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent
• Diversity and inclusion networks
• Study assistance, including financial support and study leave for tertiary education;
• Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
To be eligible for these roles, you must:
• Be an Australia citizen
• Be assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Positive Vetting security clearance
Further details can be found in the Candidate Information Pack .