Are you seeking a career within an intelligence agency where you can contribute and make a difference to the security of Australia?
An exciting opportunity exists for suitably qualified Lawyers at the Director level. We are looking for lawyers who are excellent problem solvers and strong leaders, to head up teams across various legal disciplines.
ASIO's Legal Services Division is a professional in-house legal practice providing expertise across a full range of legal services including legal advice to support ASIO's operational and corporate functions, and to manage its representation in courts and tribunals. The Division also works with law enforcement and other Commonwealth and intelligence agencies.
We are looking for leaders with excellent legal skills across one or more of these key areas:
• Statutory interpretation;
• Administrative law;
• Criminal law and law enforcement;
• Litigation; and
• Commercial and employment law.
The successful applicant will report to a Senior Executive Band 1 leader in the Legal Services Division, and will lead a team of legal and non-legal staff, sometimes in different locations. You will collaborate closely with business areas and focus on quality client service. You will be part of a high-performing Division to support ASIO's mission and priorities, and will engage directly with senior staff at other agencies.
We invite applications from people with the following attributes:
• Experience in providing excellent legal services, ideally in an operational or investigative environment;
• Familiarity with, or the ability to quickly become familiar with, key national security legislation;
• The ability to demonstrate a client focus and provide a practical approach to engaging complex legal and policy issues in an evolving and uncertain environment;
• Innovative thinking with strong strategic awareness and a demonstrated ability to identify and treat risk;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Experience in mentoring and developing legal and/or non-legal staff in a team environment; and
• At least seven years post admission experience in legal practice, or comparable experience.
To be eligible for the role, you must be:
• An Australian citizen; and
• Assessed as suitable to hold and maintain an Positive Vetting security clearance.
ASIO is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace.
Positions available in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
• A competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance for maintaining a Positive Vetting security clearance.
• Employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent.
• A variety of leave options, including four weeks annual leave;.
• Access to flexible working hours/arrangements to assist you to maintain your work-life balance. (Please note: due to our unique working environment, work from home options are not available)
• Seven employee led Diversity and Inclusion networks;
• Study assistance, including financial support and study leave for tertiary education; and
• Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. We recognise entitlements accrued under the Public Service Act 1999 and provide for continuation of superannuation under the Commonwealth schemes. Salary packaging arrangements are also available.
Closing date and time
Monday 24 May 2021, 11:59pm AEST.
How to apply
Click on “Apply Online” to commence your application. Your application must be complete and include the following:
• A succinct statement of claims up to 800 words against the selection criteria, using examples to demonstrate how your skills and experience meet the requirements; and
• An up-to-date CV, no more than two pages in length.
All employment decisions and selection processes within ASIO are based on merit principals and candidates must be prepared to undergo various selection stages.
ASIO thanks all applicants for their interest in applying. In accordance with ASIO policy, unsuccessful candidates will be notified but will not be provided with feedback on any aspect of the selection process.
ASIO holds all employment applications in the strictest of confidence. It is essential that you do the same. Please do not discuss your application with others as doing so may adversely affect your potential employment.
With reference to ASIO's People Capability Framework (available on the ASIO Careers page) and with consideration to the position description, demonstrate what you bring to the position in relation to the criteria below:
• Strategic Thinking;
• Achieving Results;
• Productive Working Relationships;
• Personal Drive and Integrity;
• Communication with Influence; and
• Demonstrated skills and experience.
If, after reading the selection documentation, you require further information please contact ASIO Recruitment on (02) 62574916.