Are you seeking a career at an intelligence agency where you can contribute and make a difference to the security of Australia?
ASIO is looking to fill a number of Cyber Security Analyst and Engineer positions to maintain and improve our important cyber security posture in a dynamic and challenging environment. We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic technologist to help us achieve our mission.
The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) provides advice to the Australian Government to protect Australia, its people and its interests in today's complex and changing world. To be successful in this mission, we need talented people who are highly capable, dedicated, adaptable and resilient. Our people are our most important assets; they are ordinary Australians but they do extraordinary things. The only difference is, they don't tell you where they work or what they do.
ASIO is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected.
As an ITE1/2 level Cyber Security Analyst or Engineer you will collaborate across teams in ASIO and use your technical skills to undertake your duties which will include:
• Continuously monitoring system security (vulnerability management, SIEM);
• Administer and maintain ASIO's cyber security capability;
• Assessing the effectiveness of cyber security controls across enterprise and operational systems;
• Responding to cyber security incidents and assisting the investigation of threats to ASIO's enterprise and operational technology; and
• Providing regular cyber security advice to system managers, developers, administrators and staff.
We invite applications from candidates with the following attributes:
• A strong interest in cyber security and familiarity with cyber security tools, practices and principles;
• Demonstrated understanding of the administrative functions of common operating systems, virtualisation and/or network devices;
• A commitment to continuous learning and resilience – essential in resolving novel and challenging problems; and
• The ability to work as part of a busy team.
Tertiary qualifications in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cyber Security or related disciplines and/or;
Professional experience in similar roles including:
• SIEM implementation/administration
• Security monitoring/analysis/investigation
• Incident response
• Continuous monitoring and auditing
• Security assessment and certification
• System administration or capability development
*Industry certifications are desirable but not mandatory
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
• a competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance for maintaining a Positive Vetting security clearance;
• employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent;
• a variety of leave options, including four weeks annual leave;
• flexible working hours / arrangements to assist you to maintain your work-life balance (please note: due to our unique working environment, work from home options are not available);
• even staff-led diversity and inclusion networks;
• study assistance, including financial support and study leave for tertiary education; and
• access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
To be eligible for the role, you must be:
• an Australian citizen; and
• assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Positive Vetting security clearance.
ASIO is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace.
Positions are based in Canberra.
How to apply
Click on 'Apply Online' to commence your application. Your application must be complete and include the following:
• a pitch, of no more than 800 words, taking into account the selection criteria, and using examples to demonstrate your skills and experience; and
• an up-to-date CV, no more than two pages in length.
All employment decisions and selection processes within ASIO are based on merit principles and candidates must be prepared to undergo various selection stages.
ASIO holds all employment applications in the strictest of confidence. It is essential that you do the same. Please do not discuss your application with others as doing so may adversely affect your potential employment.
We recommend that you consider ASIO's People Capability Framework particularly with respect to ITE1/2 level roles (available on the ASIO Careers page). Your pitch should take into account the role responsibilities and key attributes, and should demonstrate what you would bring to the role of Cyber Security Analyst/Engineer in relation to the criteria below:
• Strategic Thinking;
• Achieving Results;
• Productive Working Relationships;
• Personal Drive and Integrity;
• Communication with Influence; and
• Demonstrated skills and experience.
Please note: it is not necessary to address each sub heading of the selection criteria individually in your application.
Closing date and time
Monday 11 October 2021, 7.00pm AEST
Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. We recognise entitlements accrued under the Public Service Act 1999 and provide for continuation of superannuation under the Commonwealth schemes. Salary packaging arrangements are also available.
If, after reading the selection documentation, you require further information please contact ASIO Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (02) 6257 4916.
ASIO thanks all applicants for their interest in applying. In accordance with ASIO policy, unsuccessful candidates will be notified but will not be provided with feedback on any aspect of the selection process.
For more information about ASIO, please visit: www.asio.gov.au