Are you seeking a career at an intelligence agency where you can contribute and make a difference to the security of Australia?
ASIO protects Australia and Australians from threats to their security. In a complex, challenging and changing security environment, our success is built on the imagination and intelligence of our team. ASIO's people are ordinary Australians but they do extraordinary things - they are our most important asset. To be successful in our mission, we need talented people who are highly capable, dedicated, adaptable and resilient.
ASIO staff are carers, parents, grandparents and community volunteers and may come from various backgrounds, including music, teaching and nursing. We are proud Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and second or third generation Australians. We are introverted, extroverted and neurodiverse. We are trades' specialists, technically-minded, corporate and intelligence professionals. We are your neighbours and part of your community. The only difference is, we don't tell you where we work or what we do.
ASIO is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected.
The Director Management Accounting drives strategic decision support to our executive by way of timely, accurate, and insightful advice that makes an impact. This is pivotal in our goal to foster a strong financial management culture by applying best practice principles and a willingness to share knowledge across the organisation.
As Director, Management Accounting, your duties will include:
• Overseeing management accounting activities, including budgeting and provision of strategic financial advice to senior leaders of the organisation;
• Oversight of system administration for the Financial Management Information System (FMIS);
• Oversight of the asset management function;
• Preparing a range of written material including various reports, Senate Estimate Submissions, discussion papers and Agency briefs;
• Exercising strong leadership, relationship and management skills, playing a role in implementing continuous improvement processes and being proactive in implementing and driving change; and
• Managing and leading a team of finance professionals, including providing clear and consistent communication, setting clear performance behavioural standards, managing performance, delegating responsibility and guiding and developing staff.
We invite applications from people with the following attributes:
• Demonstrated ability to manage workloads and priorities to meet organisational objectives;
• Demonstrated ability to display initiative and exercise sound, independent judgement;
• Strong verbal communication, representational and networking skills;
• Demonstrated ability to prepare high quality written work, including policy and management frameworks;
• High level strategic skills – with a successful record of successfully managing a team of finance professionals;
• Demonstrated ability to priorities and remain flexible and adaptive in a high-volume environment;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a strong client focus, build rapport and adapt to differing client requirements.
Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountant (CA)
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
• a competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance for maintaining a Positive Vetting security clearance;
• employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent;
• a variety of leave options, including four weeks annual leave;
• flexible working hours/arrangements to assist you to maintain your work-life balance (please note: due to our unique working environment, work from home options are generally not available);
• seven staff-led diversity and inclusion networks;
• study assistance, including financial support and study leave for tertiary education; and
• access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
To be eligible for the role, you must be:
• an Australian citizen.
• assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Positive Vetting security clearance.
ASIO is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace.
This position is located in Canberra.
How to apply
Click on ‘Apply online' to commence your application. Your application must be complete and include the following:
• a succinct statement of claims up to 800 words (no more than two pages) against the selection criteria, using examples to demonstrate how your skills and experience meet the requirements; and
• an up-to-date CV, no more than two pages in length.
All employment decisions and selection processes at ASIO are based on merit principles and candidates must be prepared to undergo various selection stages.
ASIO holds all employment applications in the strictest of confidence. It is essential that you do the same. Please do not discuss your application with others as doing so may adversely affect your potential employment.
Referring to ASIO's People Capability Framework (available on the ASIO Careers page) and considering the position description, demonstrate what you bring to the position in relation to the criteria below:
• Strategic Thinking
• Achieves Results
• Productive Working Relationships
• Personal Drive and Integrity
• Communicates with Influence
• Demonstrated skills and experience.
Please note: it is not necessary to address each sub heading of the selection criteria individually in your application.
Closing date and time
Wednesday, 8 December 2021 at, 5:00 pm AEDT
Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. We recognise entitlements accrued under the Public Service Act 1999 and provide for continuation of superannuation under the Commonwealth schemes. Salary packaging arrangements are also available.
If you require further information after reading the selection documentation, please contact ASIO Recruitment at email@example.com or phone 02 6257 4916.
We thank all applicants for their interest in applying. In accordance with ASIO policy, we will notify unsuccessful candidates but will not provide feedback on any aspect of the selection process.