Are you looking for flexibility in the days and hours you work? Are you an Australian citizen? If yes, then we are keen to hear from you as we have day, evening and weekend shifts available. Casual, part-time, or full-time arrangements may be negotiated.
ASIO protects Australia and Australians from threats to their security. In a complex, challenging and changing security environment, our success is built on the imagination and intelligence of our team. ASIO's people are ordinary Australians but they do extraordinary things - they are our most important asset. To be successful in our mission, we need talented people who are highly capable, dedicated, adaptable and resilient.
ASIO staff are carers, parents, grandparents and community volunteers and may come from various backgrounds, including music, teaching and nursing. We are proud Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and second or third generation Australians. We are introverted, extroverted and neurodiverse. We are trades' specialists, technically-minded, corporate and intelligence professionals. We are your neighbours and part of your community. The only difference is, we don't tell you where we work or what we do.
ASIO is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected.
As a Security Assistant in ASIO your duties may include:
• Maintain professional and secure office environments while overseeing maintenance activities.
• Manage contractors and tradespeople, including safe and secure entry and exit processes, to ensure the secure delivery of services throughout ASIO facilities.
• Maintain line of sight of contractors at all times.
• Report any unsafe work practices, suspicious behaviours or activities.
• Complete or support minor administrative and maintenance tasks as directed, consistent with the APS2 classification, to assist the broader Facilities Services Branch.
There are no formal qualifications required for this position. Internal training will be provided on ASIO's security environment, escorting in line with the ASIO Security Framework, radio use and etiquette, emergency procedures and work health and safety.
This role is largely focused on providing support to the functions of Facilities Services, ensuring services and maintenance can be delivered whilst a secure environment is maintained. In support of this the following skills and attributes will support delivery of the role:
• Demonstrated ability to be actively engaged as part of a high functioning team.
• Ability to interact and engage with a range of client and capability areas.
• Strong oral communications skills and the ability to communicate with both technical and managerial audience.
• Desire to deliver excellent customer service with a high level of satisfaction and attention to detail.
• Ability to deliver services while maintaining composure and resilience.
ASIO provides a number of benefits to its staff including:
• a competitive salary, including a 7.5 per cent allowance for maintaining a Positive Vetting security clearance;
• employer superannuation contributions of 15.4 per cent;
• For casual employees, casual loading of 25% in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009, in lieu of paid leave;
• flexible working hours/arrangements to assist you to maintain your work-life balance (please note: due to our unique working environment, work from home options are not available);
• seven staff-led diversity and inclusion networks; and
• access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
To be eligible for the role, you must be:
• an Australian citizen.
• assessed as suitable to hold and maintain a Positive Vetting security clearance.
ASIO is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, where all staff are valued and respected. We welcome and value applications from all eligible candidates, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, age or disability. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Please advise us if you require any additional assistance in order to fully participate in the recruitment process or the workplace.
These positions are located in Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne.
How to apply
Click on ‘Apply online' to commence your application. Your application must be complete and include the following:
• a succinct statement (no more than two pages) outlining why you are interested in the position and what skills and attributes you will bring to our team.
• an up-to-date CV, no more than two pages in length.
All employment decisions and selection processes at ASIO are based on merit principles and candidates must be prepared to undergo various selection stages.
ASIO holds all employment applications in the strictest of confidence. It is essential that you do the same. Please do not discuss your application with others as doing so may adversely affect your potential employment.
Closing date and time
Monday 21 March 2022 at, 17:00 pm AEDT
Employment is under the ASIO Act 1979. Conditions of service are similar to those applying in the Australian Public Service. We recognise entitlements accrued under the Public Service Act 1999 and provide for continuation of superannuation under the Commonwealth schemes. Salary packaging arrangements are also available.
If you require further information after reading the selection documentation, please contact ASIO Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 6257 4916.
We thank all applicants for their interest in applying. In accordance with ASIO policy, we will notify unsuccessful candidates but will not provide feedback on any aspect of the selection process.